The Lost Art Of The Thank You Note

What is with people today?


People are invited to parties and don't RSVP even on an Evite.
They take their kids to restaurants and let them run all over the place. 
They don't bring a hostess gift to a dinner party....OY VEY!


Come on people! We have to get it together! And whether you like it or not ladies, it is up to us because women carry the torch of decorum and manners. That's just the facts.

How have things gotten so bad? Remember as Dolly Parton says in Steel Magnolias:

"What separates us from animals is our ability to accessorize...."


Can we be civilized please?

The thing that irritates me the most is lack of thank you notes. People buy you a gift, or your children a gift and you don't have the time to write a note? Really? But you're all caught up on the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills!


Maybe we should just start simple. Tell someone, lots of people, thank you. The guy who opens the door for you (it happens) thank you. Someone at work gets you out of hot water? Thank you. You're friend talks you off the ledge (you know who you are (JEM), thank you. A simple thank you will do.


Then get some good stationery and write a bunch of thank you notes.


Phew, I'm done with my rant now...

7 comments:

Miss Janice said...

Don't get me started on this! It's so easy to say kind words like "Please, Thank-you, and You're Welcome!". I also agree that it's ridiculous that people don't have the common courtesy to respond to an invitation or express their gratitude for an act of kindness! They are just tacky, that's all!!!

Readings, Recipes and Rambles said...

AMEN! I totally agree....the 'no' thank you note is my biggest pet peeve!!

Suburban Princess said...

Oh this is probably my biggest pet peeve. If someone doesn't rsvp or says they are coming then doesn't show up...I quietly, without fanfare, end the relationship. I can't be friends with someone who does that sort of thing.

I sent a very good friend a present for his new baby...his baby mama obviously doesn't have the manners to write a thank you note so he texted me a thank you. Hm maybe from now on I will just text photos of what might've been the present.

BIL's wife is famous for this sort of thing...she never acknowledges a present! Or anything! My inlaws sent her their leather furniture and a big kiln, put it on a train and shipped it to her...to this day they still dont know if she got it! Ugh

I could go on but I shouldn't get so tiggered at 8:30 in the morning.

But...the reason this happens...is because people accept it. We teach people how to treat us and if we let things slide, they will slide a lot. Hold the people around you to a higher standard. And let them know what that standard is.

The Swanky Socialite said...

UGH, I couldn't agree more!! In fact, I just had this conversation a few days ago. WHY OH WHY can people not RSVP to parties (even with an email address I add to it!!), write thank you notes, etc. etc.
I guess manners are a thing of the past now. I was raised in a small town in Connecticut where being on your best behaviour and having manners are what counted in life!

Gramspearls said...

THnak you, thank you, thank you!!! I get so hurt and then angry when I don't receive a thank you note. I wish it didn't bother me so much. It's nice to know I am not alone.

Warly, Kathleen

Solar Powered said...

Amen sister!

Unknown said...

I love this post.